Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Back to School

Nothing new has been happening here now that school's started... It feels so weird actually having homework. Here's the 4 classes I'm taking here:

  • Japanese: I'm really angry about my placement. It seems that every university takes a completely unique approach to the language because everyone is placed in really weird spots. The class moves at a nice pace and it's really helping me remember a lot of things, but a lot of stuff is just vague and weird.
  • Japanese Religion and Society: This class is all about different religions and their effect on Japanese society. It's REALLY interesting, but the teacher is a complete pushover. If we wanted to, we could kick her out of the room and throw a party!
  • The City and Society of Edo: VERY interesting class about historical Tokyo. I've only been to one class and I didn't get a chance to do the reading, but from the ensuing class discussion, I can't wait to read more!!!
  • Introduction to Linguistics: I'm really excited to learn more about linguistics, as I've always taken an interest in languages and their structure. I'm crossing my fingers that it'll live up to my expectations.
The Sophia school system is very.... interesting. The way they do classes is they have a "Trial Week" where you go to classes you think you'd be interested in and then you register for them once you decided. Very confusing, but I can see the point of it. I dropped 2 classes I thought I was going to take because they were either too boring or too hard. I think the class mix I have right now is just the right mix of interesting subject matter (yet boring teachers -_-) and easy work load. Japanese is the class I have to work on most (THEY WANT 2 HOURS OF STUDYING EVERY FREAKIN' DAY!!! ARE THEY OUT OF THEIR MINDS?!?!), but it's manageable.

The thing that I dislike most about the school situation though is the commuting. I really took living on campus for granted! Having to devote an hour each way (an hour when you can't really work on any homework >:-( ) to school can be really taxing, but I've gotta suck it up and quit whining. So many of my friends have a way longer commute than I do, I feel really bad for them!

As for the club I'm in, it's really cool because they have their own club room that only the club members can use. That's like my home base. When I'm done with classes, I'll head there and chat with whichever club member is there! It's really cool!

Well, I best be getting to sleep!!! Got a Kanji quiz tomorrow!!! Bye!

1 comment:

emie said...

how did you know that it was royksopp?
i haven't updated my blog in forever.
i am so lazzzzy.